I read your blog about Hawaiian Funerals....why does the family make leis?  Is the for the people in attendence?

I am in the States and preparing my Moms funeral.  Is it tacky to ask everyone to wear Aloha shirts or dresses?...
I don't want black.

Aloha Peg,

I am sorry to hear about your mom.
The leis symbolize the circle of life and nature and how life goes on and is changing and always renews itself.
Leis are used for every occasion, birthdays, graduations, weddings and also funerals.
As for asking people to wear what we call Aloha attire I don't think it's tacky at all.
Many people don't like to have everyone wear black, even on the mainland.
And most people have something colorful with flowers or patterns at home anyway.
Let me know if you have any more questions.

Aloha, I can answer I would say about 99 % of all questions relating to Hawai`i.

I work for tour agencies as a tour guide so have a wonderful island experience especially from the view of travelers and newcomers to the islands. I am also a high school language teacher.