Hawaii/Casting a lei out to sea for my mom

Question
Hi Malia,
I saw your reply to another dear friend that lost a loved one.
My mom died this past June and we were very close. we will be in hawaii in December and I would like to do this as well. Are their flowers I can buy at the pier ( we will be arriving on a cruise ship) to later cast out to sea?
I would love to say a prayer that would be in keeping with your traditions that would give me peace that mom is resting in the new world. Could you recommend?  Any other suggestions for a service would be great.
Thank you.

Answer
Aloha Carole,

First of all I am sorry for your loss.
Yes you can buy flowers at the pier but I am not sure where you want to throw them into the ocean though. You could do it at the pier, but it's busy and the water isn't the cleanest with all the ships and oil etc.
I am not sure how long you are staying in the islands but if you are here longer, I suggest you go to a quiet beach or even take a canoe or small boat and go out and throw the flowers into the ocean there.
As for a prayer, there is one that is often used for all occasions such as for a departed loved one but also for other occasions just to say aloha and show love and appreciation for all humans. The Hawaiian people regard life as a whole and the same prayer sung at birth could be a prayer sung at a funeral because all parts belong to our lives.
The Hawaiians also don't like to wear black at funerals and most times will wear aloha wear, meaning flower patterns, again to celebrate life.

Here is the prayer with its translation.
Let me know if there is anything else you need help with.
Malia

Ho'o nani Ka Makua Mau
Ke Keiki Me Ka Uhane no
Ke Akua Mau
Ho'o Mai Ka'ipu
Ko Ke ia ao, Ko ke la ao
Amene

Praise God from whom all blessings flow.
Praise Him all creatures here below
Praise him above ye heavenly host.
Praise Father, Son and Holy Ghost.
Amen

Hawaii

Malia