Hawaii/Best time/Best Island w/Family

Question
We have 4 kids: 2 girls (5 & 10) and 2 goys (13). We are planning to visit the beginning of April for about 10 days. We want to balance beach/relax/hang out time with things to do/go see as a family. It's been a number of years since I've visited and this will be the 1st time for my husband and kids. I want to choose wisely! Will the weahter & water be warm in April? Which island/hotel(s) do you recommend?
THANK YOU!

Answer
Aloha Cam,
All Hawaiian islands are pretty safe and all welcome kids. Of course with 4 kids I am sure you prefer to have a rental house/apartment/cottage rather than a cramped hotel room in Waikiki. So I suggest you check websites that offer vacation rentals by owner because it will be much cheaper than a hotel.
O'ahu is the busiest island and you can visit the aquarium, the Disney resort, the zoo, Dole plantation, the children's discovery museum. By April the south beaches will be nice and warm (right now the weather is about 78F during the day, in April it will be around 80 F, the water is 75F as well). You can also go snorkel at Hana'uma Bay and do a catamaran tour in Waikiki.

In Maui there is a big Oceanarium and you can visit Lahaina which is a little quaint town with lots of art galleries and little funny shops.

The Big Island has a also a zoo and of course the Hilo side with the active volcanoes and Volcanoes National Park which is out of this world. If your family likes nature, you will be blown away. It gets cold there but it's worth it.

So basically every island offers nature and O'ahu offers the most nature AND other stuff, also shopping etc.

Kaua'i is small and very green, lush and less busy if you prefer a getaway but kids could get bored. I wouldn't recommend Lana'i and Moloka'i at this point. Those islands are beautiful as well, don't get me wrong, but if your husband and kids have never been to HI, and you only have 10 days, you should do the main islands first.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Malia  

Hawaii

Malia