Hawaii/Moving to Kauai?

Hi!  I have never been to Hawaii but have always wanted to go. I'm looking to make a big change in my life. I'm a teacher in Canada. I'm wondering if Kauai is as laid back as it seems? I'm also wondering about jobs and cost of living. A blog site talked about Kauai being far from laid back...people hussle to make ends meet...work 55 hours a week and often work three jobs just to make ends meet. Is this true? Are teaching jobs available there? I've also been thinking about getting a Master of Counseling degree...any use for that there?

Thanks for your input!

Aloha Melanie,

Sometimes we call life here "the price to live in paradise".
Life is indeed expensive in Hawaii but it's also paradise.
Kaua'i is one of the more laid back islands indeed with less traffic, no high rises etc.
I am myself a teacher in Honolulu and yes we work many many hours but life also a lot to offer such as all year warm climate, amazing nature, cultural diversity and the like.
I am not sure about teaching jobs over there but you can check the
DOE Department of Education website or the Hawaii Chamber of Commerce Website who has information about
schools, education etc.
The main cities on Kaua'i are Lihue and also Princeville and Poipu. You can check all those.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any more questions.

Aloha, I can answer I would say about 99 % of all questions relating to Hawai`i.

I work for tour agencies as a tour guide so have a wonderful island experience especially from the view of travelers and newcomers to the islands. I am also a high school language teacher.