Hawaii/Paddle out ceremony

Our son was recently killed in an accident.  He was a firefighter in our home town of Omaha, NE.  He has been honored for saving several lives, numerous times and was a part of an eite U.S. search and rescue team, when national disaster occur. He was also trained in swift water rescue.  He LOVED the water and Hawaii.  It was his favorite place on earth.  He loved to surf and scuba.  I have heard of a paddle out ceremony to honor the life of a surfer.  We are going to Maui next week and wodered if we could do such a ceremeony on short notice and how to go about it.  He was not cremated, so there are no ashes to scatter.
Mahalo for your help !!!,

Aloha Steve,

I am so sorry for the late reply. i got stung by a jelly fish a few days ago and the pain was excruciating. But I am well now and am not complaining cause after all, in comparison with what other people have to go through, I have no reason to feel pity for  myself.
That brings me to your note. No parent should have to bury their child and I am so very sorry to hear about your loss.

I admire fire fighters who give so much so save lives. You must have been so proud of him.

I live on O'ahu so I don't know too many people on Maui but yes paddle out ceremonies are very easy to arrange. They are mostly done at sunset or sunrise.
Since your son was a firefighter I actually suggest you contact the fire department in Kahului (the capital of Maui) and see what they say. Here in the islands almost everyone knows someone who has a cousin or friend who is a paddler and that's how things get arranged, by word of mouth.
People in the islands are very helpful. You will see.

Another choice would be to contact a paddling company directly on Maui or even ask your concierge if you stay at a hotel.

As for the lack of ashes, that is not a problem. People use flower garlands and leaves in lieu of ashes.

Let me know if you have any further questions

Aloha, I can answer I would say about 99 % of all questions relating to Hawai`i.

I work for tour agencies as a tour guide so have a wonderful island experience especially from the view of travelers and newcomers to the islands. I am also a high school language teacher.