Hawaii/hair flower

Question
which side is a married persons to wear the hair flower and what kind of flower is appropriate

Answer
Aloha Christine

I am so sorry I only got your message now.

A married (or taken) person (mostly women though) wears a flower on her left ear.
Any flower is ok but most of the time women will wear plumeria and this for several reasons:
1) they are easily found 2) they last a few hours 3) they are big so look good in hair 4) they come in different colors 5) they smell good

Other flowers used are hibiscus (our state flower), gardenia and sometimes puakenikeni (even though these are small and one needs several to make it look ok)

A person wearing a flower on her/his right ear shows that he or she is still "available".

Hope this helps and again sorry for the late reply.

Malia  

Hawaii

Malia