Hawaii/Hawaiian Culture

Question
Is it true that the ancient Hawaiians performed live sacrifices? I thought this was something exclusive to the Aztecs.

Answer
Aloha William,

The ancient Hawaiians sacrificed some animals but never humans.

Certain animals were used, mostly pigs, but not just any animals.

Some people think Hawaiians sacrificed humans and even ate them but that isn't true.
The Hawaiians sometimes cooked humans (after they were dead) so that the bones would fall off the flesh. They did that to enemies, for example Captain Cook. Then they shared the bones and distributed them to the families who helped fight the battle. It was a sign of victory over the enemy and the bones were kept in the family. Some families still own the bones and pass them on to the next generation.

Malia

Hawaii

Malia