Headaches/Migraines/Antibiotics and headaches

Jennifer wrote at 2009-10-09 18:19:55
I had an INTENSE and EXCRUCIATING headache from Bactrim. Why this drug is still on the market is unknown. If you do an internet search on the drug it is nothing but problems.

Anthony wrote at 2010-01-08 05:24:42
I most certainly get headaches from antibiotics. In the past year I've been on Amoxicillin twice, and both times I've had to quit taking it because of severe nausea, headaches and extreme eye pain. I'm currently on pill 2 of Azithromycin and I can barely write this because of the extreme nausea, headache and eye pains. (That's how I found this article by searching to see if antibiotics even cause headaches). I'm dreading my final dose tomorrow. Apparently no one believes this, but it's very real, for whatever reason. Maybe it's indirect, but I'm in serious pain. I'd rather fight the infection on my own. I felt better before I started.

kel wrote at 2010-08-01 22:54:11
Bactrim most certainly DOES cause headaches. it is very documented. too, it is a sulfa drug, which im guessing is the same as sulfates which is what causes headaches for those alergic to wine. i have stopped the bactrim 5 days ago and STILL have headaches. this is a horrible pill and i wish i hadnt taken it. i pray these headaches stop soon.  

Andre' wrote at 2011-08-04 22:07:47
It is truly sad that a "doctor" answered this question so incorrectly. Sadly, I am not surprised in the least.

It is a FACT that Bactrim can cause headaches, among with a host of other side effects. In very rare cases, some are fatal. This information is CLEARLY written on the sheet attached to your prescription, handed to you by the pharmacist. It also states to call your doctor right away if you have a "serious side effect" such as "mental/mood changes". You clearly had a mood change, as you have stated here. Hopefully you have not had severe enough reactions and you are okay now.

Nothing surprises me anymore regarding the ignorance of doctors. It does surprise me that many have a profoundly undeserved God complex.

Andre' wrote at 2011-08-07 00:21:33

Ms.C wrote at 2011-11-12 19:06:39
You are not alone!  Received bactrim ds today for a UTI. Within 1hour my head was pounding. It bas been years since I took Bactrim so I had forgotten about the headaches. I am certain the bactrim is causing it .  

Kristi wrote at 2011-12-01 13:26:09
I had HORRIBLE headaches on Bactrim.  I felt dizzy, my head had severe pressure to the point all I could do was lay in a dark room and pray it went away.  At first, I just thought it was coincidental because I suffer from migraines, but once I was off Bactrim, a week later, I was fine, so I had to be put on it again....same side effect!  My children are allergic to sulfa, which is what Bactrim carries, so from now on I'm just going to stay away from sulfa products and hope I never have to endure that again.  You're not the only one!!

Lindsay wrote at 2012-04-11 23:07:10
Yes! This is true. My doctor has put me on bactrim twice. The second time on accident and both times I have had severe reactions. My back swells up and becomes sore. I get an excruciating headache. And I get cramps. I cannot stand the drug Bactrim and it is for certain that it is causing you that type of pain. You aren't the only one. I've talked to several people that have had the same reaction as well. Don't take it again.  

Adrienne wrote at 2012-10-30 02:23:35
I went to the Dr. 5 days ago because I was getting a head cold and I wanted to catch it early since it usually moves into my chest. I explained to the doctor that I had a very busy work week and needed something to hit it quickly. It turned out I had a double ear infection, a sinus infection, and a few white dots in my nose that had a 10% chance of being or becoming MRSA... They gave me bactrim. For 5 days I have been horribly sick, crying at everything, mean as a snake, migraine type headaches, and dizzy constantly.... I was concerned I was going crazy, then I googled Bactrim... Turns out I am normal... I just flushed the last 6 pills :) At this rate I am going to be fired and divorced lol!!! This is a naughty drug!!!!

Kim wrote at 2013-01-25 13:00:56
It makes me sad the doctor stated 'he had never heard of it' like that just make it true. At one point I had never heard if 12 year olds getting pregnant but it happens. I am currently on Bactrim DS for a UTI and its my first time on Sulfa drugs. Hours after the first dose I developed the headache, but I was unsure if it was related to another medication I began. I take Topamax for migraine prevention and was advised if I am having breakthrough pain to increase dosage so I did, but I am still on day 5 of headache. I read on the package insert that the severe side effects include: Persistent Headache & Neck Pain/Stiffness. So at least I know it's not related to my regular headaches and that I am having a neurological side effect to the medication. Not a true allergy, but I will avoid taking again if possible, due to how uncomfortable the headache is. My hope

Is that I have had enough Bactrim to cure the infection.

Nonetheless, the 'MD,' and I use that term loosely, has no idea what he is talking about. Just because he hasn't heard of it, doesn't mean t isn't possible.  

Chrissy wrote at 2013-03-01 03:36:20
I also had a terrible reaction after taking Bactrim for acne. I was prescribed it and after a few doses began having migraine headaches. These headaches were mainly optical migrains, where I would see flashing lights and unable to see everything in my vision (blind spots). After stopping they went away. I tried the pill again and within a few hours, I got another optic migrain headache. I stopped after a few weeks-finally putting 2 and 2 together but shouldn't have taken it for so long.

After a few months of being off the Bactrim, I began having more vision problems. I could see what seemed like a purple haze in front of one eye that did not go away. I also couldn't tell depths either. If two cars passed in front of me, it was like they were about to hit each other-it's hard to explain but it is the absolute scariest experience when something happens to your sight! I went to a vision specialist who then referred me to a neurologist. I explained to both about Bactrim and both doctors dismissed it as a cause. They even dismissed the migrains as being caused by the pill even when explaining that they stopped when I went off and happened again when I was on them.

Neither doctor diagnosed me with having anything wrong. This made me feel completely crazy. It's a terrible feeling to know something is wrong but doctors are acting like you're faking. Who would do that?

Anyway, it's been almost 3 years and it took probably about 6-8 months for my vision to get back to normal although it still isn't 100%.

If anyone else has this happen to you, you are not alone. This is a dangerous drug for some people. Be so very careful with everything you are prescribed and stop taking anything at the first sign of any reaction, please!

Kay wrote at 2013-03-01 05:52:34
I also had severe side effects w/ Bactrim. Was first prescribed the drug over a decade ago. At that time had a mild headache/feeling of pressure in my head, and couldn't concentrate at work. Felt "loopy" and out of it. Second go round - this week - forgot which antibiotic had caused me to feel so strange previously so picked up my Rx for Bactrim to treat a mild UTI. After second pill - had severe pressure in my head, ached when I bent down, etc. after third dose I had a migraine-like headache, severe nausea, tremors, ringing in my ears & feeling like my ears were plugged. I quit taking the meds and approx 12 hours later am feeling almost normal. Still some residual mild nausea and discomfort in my head but feel so much better. The side effects of this drug were so much worse than the discomfort of the mild UTI. Felt like I had been poisoned. Stay away from BACTRIM!!!!!

PW wrote at 2013-03-30 17:51:25
I took 500 mg of Bacterium twice a day for 7 days for a Urinary Tract Infection.  On the second day of taking the Bacterium, I noticed weird (like Kaleidoscope flashing images) on my left peripheral vision side of my head.  Do you remember the movie, "Predator?" starring Arnold Schwartzneggar? Well, remember when the Alien was in the tree and moving around in the forest--And he was camaflodged by that wavy geometric pattern?   Well, that was what was showing up in my periphreal vision. I immediatealy called my opthamologist and he diagnosed me as having "Optical Migrains"--which I have never had in my life.  I kept getting them about every other day--and even two days after finishing the 7 day treatment of Bactrim.   I have been off the Bactrim now for about 2 weeks and have not had any optical migrains since----'KNOCK-on-WOOD".  I KNOW NOW THAT THE BACTRIM 'DEFINITELY CAUSED ME TO HAVE THESE 'OPTICAL MIGRAINS'--Which can be precursers to loss of Eye Vision--So BEEEE   VERRRRRy   CAREFULLLLL  with

this Wicked Medicine.

Catherine wrote at 2013-09-08 19:43:20
I was prescribed Doxycycline after a teak bite and the headache started with the first pill, got really bad after the second. In fact it is a possible side effect. After six days of taking them (2000 mg per day) my doctor switched to Amox-clav. I thought and hoped the headaches would stop, but no. In a way they got worse, they have been going on for over five weeks now and I can hardly take it. I got tested for lyme- negative. I had a head CT - nothing. Nobody has any idea what is wrong, and I think I am going mad. It does not get better, as soon as I wake up in the morning the pain is there. I can not go anywhere, not even the movies, because everything will make me nervous, I have problems concentrating. All I can think about is the headache. Sometimes I just think I am crazy or what to do to end it.  

miseryinypsi wrote at 2014-10-29 02:42:50
I've been suffering with severe headaches since I started on Bactrum. It feels like my eye balls are going to pop out. I thought on top of a UTI I also had a severe sinus infection until I started reading about the side effects.  Luckily today was my last day of a 3 day script.  Never again! How long before this headache ends??  

Melissa wrote at 2014-12-01 06:16:24
I'm sitting here right now in the middle of the night with a horrid headache after taking my first dose of Bactrim.  Miserable.  Will be calling my doc in the morning to switch.

ab635 wrote at 2015-05-18 03:40:10
You dont lose your eyesite from migraine aura not panic if you have one I get them all the time , its 20-30 mins of zig zag crazy vision  

Mandy wrote at 2015-09-30 16:15:40
Has anyone ever be in contact with this certain Antibiotic called Ciprofloxacin 500mg Tablett?  it's been my for most worst experience.with Antibiotics.What People describe on Baxtrim.I had experienced on mine.

There were no additional info added by the Dr on Sideaffects.

Till I had endured enough pains ,solch as severe splitting Headaches which lasted for days,Nausea and Vormitting.

I did some research on,which states to discontinue the medicine if these Sideaffects should accour.

but my Dr insisted on taking them,without even checking further up on it.

After all being sick like a Dog,which I pretty much felt.I 've decided to see another Phycican.

Please everybody, do your  self a favor and do your own own Research,some Dr 's just don't take the time to listen,and try other ways of making the patient feel well.It's your Health after all.

Cindy wrote at 2015-10-25 07:35:53
I'm on bactrim for a kidney infection.  I've been taken 3 pills so far.  My headaches come and go with this med, but right now my head is exploding with pain.   I feel as though I running a fever, even though I'm not.

Anna wrote at 2015-11-23 20:26:57
I also suffered severe headaches from Bactrim. I was starting to believe I was overdosing.  I stopped taking it 2 days before I was suppose to (for MRSA) and the headaches continued and was so severe, I had to go to the ER where they treated me with an IV and a shot. Thank God I'm better now, but after reading everyone's answer, I believe it was from the Bactrim as well.  

Anna wrote at 2015-11-23 20:27:21

Pass2succeed wrote at 2016-02-22 12:10:59
On Bactrim for horrible kidney infection. I have cervical radiculopathy, so neck stiffness is part of my everyday life. BUT the HEADACHES with the sulfa drug are excruciating to say the least. I also suffer from glaucoma, so light sensitivity is a common everyday experience, but on Bactrim... I HAD TO WEAR HATS INSIDE MY HOUSE because I could not tolerate the light in my eyes. Even my phone screen was too bright! I had no idea of the connection to wine (sulfur) sensitivity and use of sulfa drugs. I cannot drink wine due to the headaches. And now, Bactrim is another drug I have to add to the list of allergies. Seriously, only a dark room with my eyes closed provided moderate relief. I was constantly thirsty..we are talking I drank 48 ounces of water and 15 minutes later I have cotton-mouth even with the use of BIOTENE! I've got 1.5 days left of this drug, and frankly, I'm tired of being a hermit.  

Katia Atanasova wrote at 2016-04-21 21:12:42
Hello All and Pass2succeed,

I see that I have the symptoms (strong headache, dizziness) of most of you as a result of several antibiotics from different types: penicilyn, some cefalosporins,  bactrim, etc. The issue is that I have frequent UTIs, but the doctors hardly find antibiotics to treat them at all. I can hardly tolerate sun.

Dear Pass2succeed and others - if you find some way to stop headache when taking antibiotics, please write here in the forum.

Many thanks  

Luxe wrote at 2016-10-12 23:52:30
I know this topic is old, but it shows up very early in google searches so i feel it will help people who stumble upon this page.

I think the headaches come from not drinking enough water while you're on medication. I was confused because I didn't get migraines for the first two days I was on bactrin, but I realized it was because I was drinking a ton of water, more than usual, because of my UTI that I was treating. After the symptoms went away, I stopped drinking as much water and I started getting horrible migraines, but I noticed that drinking a lot of water (at least a full glass immediately after taking it) helped a lot.

Obviously this might not work for everyone but that's what worked for me! Hope it helps someone.  

Headaches/Migraines

Dr. Tron Malachowski