Headaches/Migraines/Strange tooth/head issue for a month.

Question
Dear Dr. Malachowski,

Thank you for offering this wonderful service. I was wondering if you could please help me regarding a strange issue I have been experiencing for the last four weeks. I am a 32 year old male in excellent health.

I have noticed, for the last four weeks, that I experience what feels like a 'deep', but mild, pain on the right side of my forehead and seemingly also on the top of my head, whenever I brush against one of my front teeth, either with my tongue, finger, or even when brushing my teeth. It only occurs on one particular tooth. The pain is mild, and does not linger, but I only experience it with this one particular tooth. The tooth is not sensitive to pressure, heat, or touch. I have seen a dentist for a full evaluation and after conducting several tests he has confirmed there is nothing at all wrong with the tooth itself. The tooth structure, and root, is healthy.

I have been to two physicians about this and they both believe it is an issue with either a muscle or nerve, but cannot explain it. Both have said it should settle with time, and that it is likely caused by the stress I am under with my new job. The job is extremely stressful, but how could stress cause one tooth to cause head pain when brushed against? I do not have any 'red flags', and the pain itself is mild and more annoying than painful. The fact it has persisted for a month now, though, is making me wonder what the cause is and if it will go away in time. They are certain it is not trigeminal neuralgia as the pain is very mild. I am pain-free if I do not brush against my tooth. The tooth itself does not hurt at all.

I realise you cannot diagnose me without seeing me in person, but what could be some potential causes for this annoying issue? How could stress cause one particular tooth to send pain in my head for a month?

Many thanks for any help!

Answer
Matthew,

This type of issue "usually" is associated with either the 5th or 7th cranial nerve. Since they have ruled our the 5th, you may want to take a look at the 7th. Both have sensory and motor nerve roots that supply the face which would suggest an issue.

Here is the thing. Both of these nerves originate near the brain stem, and travel outward towards the face. So you may have a misalignment of C1-C2 near the brain stem, which in my opinions is more likely then to have an impingement along the distribution of the nerve perhaps from trauma or an injury.

Does that make sense?

TM

Headaches/Migraines

Dr. Tron Malachowski