Headhunters & Employment Agencies/Job Hunting

My name is Talha khan, a civil engineering graduate from India and currently pursuing last semester of Masters in Projec Managment (Building & Engg.).

Q-1) I am a little confused about my future so please guide me about the possibilities and opportunities in contrast to my educational background, given the condition I am more interested to work in office rather than construction site.

Q-2) I also want to pursue another management degree (Either finance or Procurement) but only through distance education mode, please suggest me some good institutes and pros and cons of distance education mode.

Q-3) Having asked the above question also suggest me a suitable career in compliance to my requirements.

Talha Khan

Dear Talha,

Thank you for your question.

Let me try and answer each question one by one as you have listed them:

1. First of all, with a degree in Civil Engineering and a Masters in Project Management, why would you not want to work on construction sites? All people who succeed in rising to the top in their careers, all start in the field, whether you rise as a sales & marketing professional, a botanist or a civil engineer. So you must have some construction site experience else resign yourself to the fact that you will not rise very high in your later career.

2. In case you wish to pursue a distance education MBA, some of the good ones are from XLRI Jamshedpur, FMS Delhi University and I think Symbiosis. These kinds of MBA's are all accepted as almost equal to the full time ones from these same places, so are well recognized in industry.

3. The most suitable career would be to stay in construction, specialize in a particular kind of construction project (e.g. thermal or nuclear power plants) and then work diligently and show that you have the capability to become part of management and the company will reward you with growth into more senior roles where you will no longer be on construction sites but supervising younger people who are.   

I hope I have been of some help.

With best regards

Headhunters & Employment Agencies

Sanjiv Desai

I can answer most questions about careers, job hunting and senior talent hiring in India.

I have been in the executive search space for the past 12 years and have worked in various parts of India.

All India Management Association, National HRD Network, CII, DMA

M.Sc from BITS Pilani and currently pursuing a DBA.