Hearing Aids/Hearing Aid Final Choice

charlene wrote at 2013-04-19 23:21:30
Hello. I realize this thread is a bit old but I too have been in a similar situations. I was born with nerve damage in both ears. I have been wearing hearing aids since 1982. Recently just fitted with phonak Milo in both ears. I'm hearing things I never heard before. I love them. That being said... I also had problems when I first got them. Took forever to get the programming right. Still working on it seeing both ears are different it is difficult to get the right frequencyin both ears so they sound the same. Audiologist says it may not be possible. But she works diligently to help me get as close as we can. So like they said, you really need to get an audiologist that is willing to work with you.  

Hearing Aids

Kelly Kelley

I can answer most questions regarding hearing loss including the typical causes and symptoms or the more important question, “What can I do about it?” I have written a thirty page booklet regarding the use of hearing aids as a prosthetic device. This booklet is available to you at no charge. I will provide in-depth answers to any question about hearing aids; whether scientific and technical in nature or the kinds of questions that an end-user might have.

I have worked for ten years in the field of fitting and dispensing of hearing aids. This includes over forty thousand hours of direct patient care. For the past seven years, I have been the Research Director at the Hearing Research Institute. At HRI we specialize in Otometry; the science of sound pressure. “Otometry means literally the science of measuring the sound pressure operating ability of the ear.” “Otometry covers both the measurement of residual hearing and its enhancement.” (Basic Principles of Otometry, by John A. Victoreen) Our research focuses on the function of coupling. The inner ear cannot be repaired; therefore our best answer to date is to modify sound before it arrives at the inner ear. Modification of sound is done with a prosthetic device commonly called a hearing aid. The research, development and manufacturing industry calls them “hearing instruments.” Every hearing instrument has to be specifically tuned to an individual’s cochlea; we call this “coupling”. The more precise the coupling; the better a persons hearing will be. For the past six years, I have served as a proctor and examiner on the Texas State Board of Licensing of Fitters and Dispensers of Hearing Instruments. All prospective licensees in the field of hearing aid dispensing have to go through a rigorous educational and apprenticeship program in order to be licensed in the state of Texas. Texas has perhaps the most rigorous licensing processes in the nation. In 2002, I completed an upper level educational certification hosted by the American Conference of Audioprosthology and earned my certification as an ACA Certified Audioprosthologist. The Audioprosthology program is an upper division baccalaureate course specifically designed for hearing instrument dispensers with two or more years of experience. Additionally, at this time I achieved Nationally Board Certification in Hearing Instrument Science (NBC-HIS).

American Conference of Audioprosthologists (ACA) Texas Hearing Aid Association (THAA) American Tinnitus Association Better Hearing Institute Better Business Bureau Temple Chamber of Commerce

I am the author of "The Search for Perfect Hearing". Learn more about us at

AAS Robotics Technology (Texas State Technical College) ACA Certified Audioprosthologist Nationally Board Certified in Hearing Instrument Science (NBC-HIS) Licensed Hearing Instrument Specialist (Texas)

Valedictorian Class of 1991, TSTC