Hearing Aids/Bernafon chronos 9 nano RIC

Question
I recently bought a pair at Costco in Denver.  the right one works fine but the left one offers no improvement - WHY?  COULD THE RIGHT ONE ADVERSELY AFFECT THE LEFT ONE?  IS THE LEFT ONE DEFECTIVE? IS THE HEARING TEST WRONG FOR THE LEFT EAR THEREFORE WHEN ITS DATA IS PUT INTO THE HA NO IMPROVEMENT IS FOUND?  COULD THE TRANSLATION OF HEARING TEST TO HA BE COMPROMISED?  COULD THE COSTCO SOFTWARE BE DEFECTIVE?  COULD COSTCO'S MICRO ADJUSTMENTS NOT BE MADE PROPERLY?  

FRUSTRATED - WHAT SHOULD I DO?  SO FAR HAVE ASKED FOR A NEW PAIR OF HA?

SHOULD I REQUEST REDO OF LEFT HEARING TEST?  ANYTHING ELSE?

MY WIFE GOT SAME HA THE SAME DAY AND EVERYTHING WORKED FINE FOR HER?  STRANGE?

Answer
Hello Bruce,

Thank you for your questions.  Although I appreciate increased access to hearing care and improved affordability of hearing aids, this situation represents why many have concerns about "retail" delivery of healthcare.  No matter how much or how little money a person spends on hearing aid, the true benefits can only be fully realized when proper evaluation, fitting, adjustment, and prescription verification are performed.  No matter the capabilities of the device, without quality audiological services, you may never hear as well as you should.

You are certainly not to blame, as the industry has continually pushed product over the healthcare component through advertising, pricing, etc.  The truth is that wherever you pay your money to obtain hearing help, a portion goes toward the device and a portion goes toward the service.  And trust me that not all services are equal.  The best piece of advice I can give for anyone seeking quality healthcare is to seek out a quality provider.  A quality provider will care more about your ultimate success than selling you a product, have the skills to ensure maximum benefit, and most likely cost the same or even less in the long run for a much better result.

I care very much about this topic and want to get this message out so that good people like you and your wife who are seeking hearing help can make good choices that lead to great outcomes.  Unfortunately, I (along with my audiology colleagues) have a huge task ahead of us in doing so.

OK.  Now to see how I can help you specifically.  Bernafon is a reputable manufacturer of hearing aids, often considered a "lower-end" version of Oticon products, both owned by the same parent company. I can not really speak too much on product selection beyond that without knowing your full case history and hearing diagnosis.  That being said, there is no good way for me to tell you exactly where the problem lies, as it could be a faulty device, programming, testing, earwax, your hearing loss, etc.  Check to see if your provider at Costco is an audiologist.  If so, ask him/her to recheck your hearing and, providing this is consistent with your previous testing, have them check the hearing aids and perform a probe microphone measurement to ensure proper amplification against your hearing loss in each ear.  In this measure, a small tube is placed in the ear canal next to the hearing aid so that the amplification level can be measured by a sensitive microphone.  The provider then plays a recorded speech sample or some other noise and graphs the amplification levels against your hearing loss.  THIS IS DIFFERENT THAN CONNECTING THE HEARING AID TO THE COMPUTER WITH A CORD OR WIRELESS DEVICE FOR ADJUSTMENT.  If they cannot perform this type of verification measurement, you should consider seeking care elsewhere as this is the only way to ensure maximum audibility and proper prescriptive settings.

I wish you luck and hope you obtain the care you deserve.  Please give me updates as I would like to know how this turns out for you.

Sincerely,
Clint Keifer

Hearing Aids

Dr. Clint D. Keifer, Audiologist