Hearing Aids/Hearing aid

Dave wrote at 2012-11-15 15:28:19
Thank you. I did not see your response until now. My decision is between the Starkey Xino 90 and Phonak Solana CIC. There is a $300 difference for each aid (Starkey is higher). I have been told that Starkey has the most experience with high power CICs (which I need). I am inclined to go with the Phonak and see if they work well for me. If not, I can always switch to the Starkey. Do you have an opinion about these two models? My loss is moderate to severe, but both options have the power I need.  

elijah lovejoy wrote at 2013-02-19 22:28:54
Alas, it is not true that a Dr of Audiology is always better than a licensed fitter (called salesman, which is wrong).

Fitters vary greatly.    So do people with a Dr. of Audiology Degree.

Dr Keifer is right that the skill of the fitter is very important.

Fortunately, Costco knows this, and makes great efforts to have skilled fitters.   Many fitters are better than many with the Dr of Audiology degree, and vice versa.

Get the best fitter you can find, at Costco or elsewhere.  Easy to say, very hard to do.

Many audiologists now work at Costco, and they are NOT less skilled than other audiologists, especially in fitting hearing aids.  

Costco has advantages:  90 day free trial;  very good prices.  If you are comfortable with your Costco fitter, buy there.

If you are not, keep searching:  at other Costco stores  AND at private audiologists.

Most people who write to www.hearingaidforums.com end up shopping at Costco, and being very pleased.

This is, of course, hard for the Audiologists who see their sales slipping, and often end up going to Costco to use their skills.

elijah parish lovejoy, Ph.D. (experimental Psychology)

retired from the University of California, Santa Barbara

lovejoyelijah@gmail.com.    If you write, I'll try to answer.

elijah lovejoy wrote at 2013-02-19 22:30:41
Look at www.hearingaidforums.com, and search for Phonak and or Starkey.  

Lots of thoughtful and well informed opinions there.

elijah lovejoy, ph.d.

Hearing Aids

Dr. Clint D. Keifer, Audiologist

I am qualified to answer all questions related to the diagnosis and rehabilitative treatment of hearing and balance disorders. This includes evaluation of hearing and balance, counseling, amplification (hearing aids and assistive devices), tinnitus (noises in head) evaluation and management, cochlear implants, and audiology in general.

I started my career as a hearing instrument specialist (on a trainee license) in 1998. After almost 2 years, I decided that I needed to pursue higher education if I was to provide the best care to hearing impaired patients that I could. In 2007, I completed my Doctor of Audiology and have been providing audiological care for over 5 years. I have vestibular, cochlear implant, and pediatric experience along with prescribing, fitting, and verification of hearing aid amplification as part of comprehensive hearing loss rehabilitation.

Audiology doctor and owner at Great Lakes Audiology in Toledo, OH. phone: 419 327-2273 website: www.GLAudiology.com American Academy of Audiology, American Speech-Language Hearing Association, Ohio Academy of Audiology

Bachelor of Science (B.S.), Western Michigan University, Speech Pathology and Audiology Doctor of Audiology (Au.D.), Ohio State University Certificate of Clinical Competence in Audiology (CCC-A)