Hearing Aids/unilateral hearing loss

Question
Is it customary to tell a patient who has just been identifed with a severe hearing loss in one ear that they have a "dead ear" and that nothing can be done to help them? (This happened to my relative who was deeply shocked and offended)

Answer
Dear Naomi,

The delivery of this type of diagnosis should be handled with appropriate sensitivity and accurate information.  Making the statement of a "dead ear" is not a proper diagnosis, but rather the loss should be classified by degree of severity (mild, moderate, severe, profound) and type (sensorineural, conductive, mixed).  Alternatively, when a severe to profound hearing loss exists in only one ear (unilateral), then this may also be referred to as "single sided deafness."

That being said, it is rare that an ear has absolutely no function, as there is usually some level of "residual" hearing.  This is indicated in the limited information you gave me in that it is "severe" and not "profound."  When sounds are presented at a loud enough level, they can be detected.  The real question at hand is how "aid-able" is the loss and what options are available.  This should be discussed with an audiologist (not sure who delivered the information--hearing aid specialist, ENT, audiologist, etc).  If this information was given by an audiologist, I would suggest a second opinion.  Determining whether the ear can be directly aided is based largely on speech understanding in that ear, tolerance to amplification, etc.  In uncertain cases, a trial may be warranted to help determine perceived and measurable benefit.  Increased sound awareness and safety is a benefit, even if speech understanding in that ear alone is not great.

Even in the worst-case scenario where that ear is not aid-able directly (by hearing aid), other options exist to help.  Something called a CROS hearing aid can be worn to pick up sound from the side of loss and sent to a device worn in the "good" ear.  A Baha, which communicates with the "good" ear from the side of loss through a bone-anchored implant, is also an option.

I am sorry that your relative was poorly counseled and I hope the information I have given is helpful.

Hearing Aids

Dr. Clint D. Keifer, Audiologist