Hearing Aids/high frequency hearing loss

Question
Is there a hearing aid out there that will convert hi-freq sounds into lower freq that I can hear? What brand hearing aid would be best bet for this type of loss? Thanks for any information you think I could use.
Brent

Answer
Brent,

This is a great question, and the answer is "yes there is."  Frequency lowering technology (either by transposing or compressing) has been around for several years, but not often utilized until the last couple of years.  Phonak is a hearing aid manufacturer that has really moved this technology forward, but there're a couple others.  Proper application of this feature is critical, as is appropriate counseling and expectations.  This tecohnology has great potential to restore audibility of high pitches, but can be difficult to adjust to at first. I have found that the computer predicted settings based on a given hearing loss can be significantly different from the true prescription levels required foran individual.  I would suggest you find an audiologist versed in "real ear" verification measures, where a probe tube measures actual amplification levels directly within the ear canal while wearing the hearing aid.  The benefit you receive from this (or any technology) depends highly on the skill of your provider.  Hearing aids can be obtained from several sources, but "apples to apples" with technology and cost, you will likely receive much greater benefit and satisfaction from a licensed audiologist as opposed to a dealer.  This is coming from someone who started as a dealer (hearing instrument specialist) and then obtained 8 years of formal education to become an audiologist. Trust me, although I think there are good dealers who care about more than just the sale, there is a significant difference in knowledge and capability.

I hope this information is of value to you.

Hearing Aids

Dr. Clint D. Keifer, Audiologist