Heart & Cardiology/Irregular Heart Beat

Hi, my question is concerning this feeling I get randomly. I usually only get these symptoms when I'm sitting back on my couch after dinner/in the evening. So, it starts with my heart feeling like it is much larger, like it is swelling up in my chest with every beat. The beats feel much heavier. I get short of breathe and immediately check my pulse, where sometimes I can feel a few quick beats followed by what it feels like is a missed beat. then it returns to a normal pulse. Does this sound like anything you've heard of before?

I am a 28 y.o. male

Hello Nick,

Yes.    Skipped beats are normal heart activity, easy to understand as normal from knowledge of the heart's electrical system and occurring in about half of us.  They don't mean you have heart disease or will in the future develop heart disease or any catastrophe.

Please write back if this doesn’t answer all your questions.

David Richardson

Heart & Cardiology

David Richardson

Adult heart function and disease. Not very good about children lesss than 12. Hypertension is o.k. Heart rhythm a special interest.

Certified in cardiology by the American Board of Internal Medicine. Was chairman of division of cardiology at the Medical College of Virginia. Am now mostly retired.

Fellow of American Heart Association and American College of Cardiology and member of American Physiological Society..

Circulation, American Heart Journal, Hypertension.

M.D. from Harvard Medical School. Residency training at Yale Uhniversity School of Medicine and Medical College of Virginia.

Gold Heartt Award from American Heart Association in 1995.