Heart & Cardiology/palpitations

Hi Doctor,

I'm a 28 year old female that had a clear exercise echo about 4 months ago, as well as a 24 hr. holter monitor. I get what feels like a hiccup or a few skipped beats in my heart a few times a day that usually occur in the following circumstances: leaning/bending over, stretching up high, laughing, right after exercise or while taking a hot shower. There is no pain, fainting or dizziness that occur with the palpitations, however it is extremely bothersome and makes me scared to exercise.

1. Do you have any possible explanations for why the palpitations mostly occur at these times?

2. Do you think I should continue to pursue this issue with my cardiologist?

Thank you for your time!

Hello Britt,

1. Those activities might make the heart touch the chest wall and touching the heart makes it skip beats.

2.  No, you're fine.   Skipped beats are normal heart activity, easy to understand as normal from knowledge of the heart's electrical system and occurring in about half of us.  They don't mean you have heart disease or will in the future develop heart disease or any catastrophe.

Please write back if this doesnít answer all your questions.

David Richardson

Heart & Cardiology

David Richardson

Adult heart function and disease. Not very good about children lesss than 12. Hypertension is o.k. Heart rhythm a special interest.

Certified in cardiology by the American Board of Internal Medicine. Was chairman of division of cardiology at the Medical College of Virginia. Am now mostly retired.

Fellow of American Heart Association and American College of Cardiology and member of American Physiological Society..

Circulation, American Heart Journal, Hypertension.

M.D. from Harvard Medical School. Residency training at Yale Uhniversity School of Medicine and Medical College of Virginia.

Gold Heartt Award from American Heart Association in 1995.