Heart & Cardiology/Afib

Question
Hi I'm 36 male about a month ago I was in ER with first episode of afib. Two weeks prior to afib I had echo, regular stress test, EKG and all was normal I have been diagnosed with sinus tachy in 2007 took 50 mg atenenol . The cause of afib was unknown ... No underlying factors no alcohol no new drugs . Ever since the first episode I constantly worry about it happening again . The cardio doc said no treatment for it just take 75 mg atenenol per day not 50 I did increase it . Anyway couple of questions.
1- is it possible that's the only time ill ever get afib ?
2- is there a treatment other than what I was given?
3- at night I worry I feel my heart beat when I lay on left side is that normal?
4- I was given xanax but am afraid if I take it , it will cause afib ?
Thank u

Answer
Hello Matt,

1. Yes, tho you're likely to get it again.
2. Yes, there are medicines called flecainide and sotalol.  and radio-frequency ablation is also possible.
3. Yes, feeling heart beat when lying on left side is normal.
4. Xanax won't causse afib, but why take it?  Afib is benign unless it lasts longer than 2 days.

Please write back if this doesn’t answer all your questions.

David Richardson

Heart & Cardiology

David Richardson