Heart & Cardiology/borderline qt result

Question
Age 30, height 5 ft 4, weight 9 stone 10, bp 100/60.recently finished course if iron tablets due to low ferritin levels. Have a five month old baby.I have had a few episodes of palpitations recently.they have usually been during the night, the fast heart rate tends to last a few minutes followed by nausea and shaking. I also have felt light headed and faint but have not fainted. GP has checked my bp, heartrate etc and all ok. Have recently had a ecg which stated normal sinus rhythm but u wave and border line qtcinterval of 442. Qt was 422. I am having a 48 hr ecg done next week. The gp thinks my ecg is fine and I shouldn't be concerned. I am worried about these palpitations. I also have discomfort in my upper back between my shoulders but it is only slight, feels more like a muscle pull. I also have discomfort in my upper abdomen. Both of these come and go. I regularly feel light headed. Might this be anxiety attacks. My heart rate is usually between 65 and 80. I have been fut and healthy and used to run several miles per day. Should I be worried about having long qt?

Answer
Hello Sarah,

The palpitations are probably skipped beats.   Skipped beats are normal heart activity, easy to understand as normal from knowledge of the heart's electrical system and occurring in about half of us.  They don't mean you have heart disease or will in the future develop heart disease or any catastrophe.

Lightheaded may come from overbreathing.  Pay attention to your breathing when you feel light headed and breathe shallowly and slowly.

Qtc less than 460 is normal and not a worry.

Please exercise a lot.  Good for heart and body.

Heart & Cardiology

David Richardson