Heart & Cardiology/Chest pain on left side

Hi Sir,

I am experiencing chest heaviness sometimes chest pain (4/10) from the last 15 days. I went to the ER two times and they did all the tests ECG, Blood tests, X-Ray, CT-Scan. Both time they said there is nothing serious. But I am still experiencing some pain like 6-7 times a day for a second or two. Some times I feel nausea and dizziness also but its not always associated with chest pain. Sometimes I do feel some pain (2/10) in my left shoulder and arm also.

I had a surgery 3 weeks ago (Rhinoplasty) that was 7-8 hours long and after the surgery I vomited  3 times very forcefully and i felt a litle pain in my chest during vomiting. Then it just went away for 5 days and after that I started experiencing chest heaviness. I am a bit scared I might have done some damage to my heart while vomiting.

I am 27 years old. 6"1 in height. Weight 161 lb ( before the surgery it was 172 lb, lost 11 lb in 22 days) My blood pressure was 137 high and 84 low when I went to the ER.

I had an appointment with a heart specialist next week but i am a bit worried and can't wait.

Thank you very much. Waiting for your reply.

Hello Khush,

Chest pain in a young person is usually cramping of muscles in the chest wall.  If pushing on the painful area modifies the pain (makes it better or worse), or if the pain is relieved by bending the body away from the painful area, that proves the pain is from chest  wall.  Even if these maneuvers donít affect the pain, itís still probably chest wall.  Pain caused by narrowing of the coronary arteries that supply blood to the heart is extremely rare below age 40. Chest wall pain is no threat to life or health, just a big nuisance.  Safest management is just to ignore the pain, though Tylenol, aspirin or ibuprofren usually help.

Please write back if this doesnít answer all your questions.

David Richardson

Heart & Cardiology

David Richardson

Adult heart function and disease. Not very good about children lesss than 12. Hypertension is o.k. Heart rhythm a special interest.

Certified in cardiology by the American Board of Internal Medicine. Was chairman of division of cardiology at the Medical College of Virginia. Am now mostly retired.

Fellow of American Heart Association and American College of Cardiology and member of American Physiological Society..

Circulation, American Heart Journal, Hypertension.

M.D. from Harvard Medical School. Residency training at Yale Uhniversity School of Medicine and Medical College of Virginia.

Gold Heartt Award from American Heart Association in 1995.