Heart & Cardiology/Heart

Question
Hello Dr Richardson,

I'm a sufferer of ectopic heartbeats which I have had for years - learnt to live with them over the years, I've had all the test going which include echos, ecgs, bloods, barium meal, holters, Ect Ect - the other day I had a really bad episode where I had lots of ectopics and shortness of breath - I literally had 50 - 60 ectopics in the space of minutes, I could feel the skipped beat in my pulse and I ended up rushing to A&E for tests. At the hospital my blood pressure was fine as was my pulse, ECG show normal sinus rhythm and my cardiac bloods were fine. This episode has brought all the anxiety regarding those back to the surface and I'm now actively worrying about my heart again. My blod pressure as of tonight is 127/84 is this within normal limits???? Do I need to be worried about my heart.

many thanks for your helped and advice.

Sean

Answer
Hello Sean,

Premature ventricular beats are normal heart activity, easy to understand as normal from knowledge of the heart's electrical system and occurring in about half of us.  They don't mean you have heart disease or will in the future develop heart disease or any catastrophe. With your normal echoes, you need not worry about your heart.

Please write back if this doesn’t answer all your questions.

David Richardson  

Heart & Cardiology

David Richardson