Heart & Cardiology/Heartblock

Question
Hi Dr. Richardson,

You have been such a wealth of information.  Again, many thanks for the service you provide.  Heart issues scare so many people, myself included.

For the past few months, I will notice an event which can occur 5-6 days a week, but only when I'm in bed, just waking up.  I even know when they are about to happen.  It's subtle but when I make any movement, such as rolling over, it feels as if my heart stopped or maybe restarted.  I think?  That's the best way I can describe it.  I thought it might be a PVC but I can feel those and I know when I have a PVC.  Could this be heartblock?  If so is intervention (pacemaker) necessary?  I don't know if this matters but when I exercise I have NO PROBLEMS get my HR elevated.

Thanks,
James

Answer
If your heat pauses for just one beat, it's a skipped beat, maybe an atrial premature beat, and doesn't need attention.  If the pause is much longer than one beat, you should get a 24-hour EKG monitor (Holter).  I doubt if it's atrio-ventricular block, but that's possible if the pause is a long pause.  Might need a pacemaker.

Heart & Cardiology

David Richardson