Heart & Cardiology/low heart rate pacemaker

Question
Hello David My dad is 90 years old And in a personal  care home His mind is still sharp But he has cidp (Chronic Inflammation Demylating Neurapathy )So his legs are parlyze So he preety much bed ridden because he cant walk But he does the best he can do Will he was told he had a low heart rate of 48 And that he should look into getting a pacemaker  Can Lasix cause low heart ratesWe are wondering at his age If that a good decision He is able still watch tv and read and loves music Over all his health is preety good So he probaly would  be a candiate But his age Is it taking a risk Thank you Carolyn

Answer
Hello Carolyn,

Pacemakers are very simple and easy to insert; almost no risk.

But in my opinion he doesn't need a pacemaker.  The lower limit of normal for heart rate is 45 awake, 35 asleep.  So long as he has no fainting spells, I think he doesn't need a pacemaker.  Lasix does not slow the heart.

Please write back if this doesn’t answer all your questions.

David Richardson

Heart & Cardiology

David Richardson