Heart & Cardiology/LV non compaction

Question
QUESTION: Hi

I am 31 years old and my echo came back showing the following under left ventricle:

"overall impression is of a mildly impaired ventricular function without dilation or hypertrophy. The apex is hypokinetic, and there are very prominent trabeculation within this area. This is highly suspicious of non compaction. Additional investigation of the apical region is recommended."

The rest of the report appears normal apart from mitral valve showing "trivial mild regurgitation".

My family has a history of dilated cardiomyopathy and my dad has heart failure due to a leaky valve.

Are you able to let me know what additional investigation involves? Is this further echo's before a diagnosis can be made? The summary confirms that this study can not rule out non compaction. I had never heard of non compaction until I saw this report. Is there anything that can be done to ensure the progression of this is stopped or slowed?

Thanks in advance

ANSWER: Hi Carolyn,
If true it is a genetic disorder and you & your family should be tested. For practical reasons, this condition should be followed with cardiac echos. Since this is a relative newly discovered disease, treatment depends on whether there is any evidence of heart and/or valve failure.
Hope this helps,
Dr T

QUESTION: Thanks

In this context can it be genetic but not necessarily hereditary? I.e a mutation in development rather than me inheriting it from parents? My dads report has never suggested non compaction but if it's 'new' then perhaps not all radiographers/cardiologists know to look for it?

Thanks

Carolyn

Answer
Hi Carolyn,
I have no genetic skills, but this is about the (yours & present family's) future not the past. Be tested! I am not sure a definite diagnosis has been made - this will happen with future studies.
Hope this helps,
Dr T
http://www.cardiachealth.org/

Heart & Cardiology

doctort@cardiachealth.org