Heart & Cardiology/PVC's, early repolarization and ventricular ectopy

Question
My son is 18 years old and has been athletic all his life. He swam competitively until last year and now plays high level soccer up to three times a week. His blood pressure sometimes rises when he's feeling anxious and his doctor wanted to evaluate his heart just in case. ECG values appear normal but comment of PCV, early repolarization and ventricular ectopy was noted by the person who interpreted the results. His BP ranges from 115/70 to 132/80 or so, sometimes a bit higher if stressed. He does not complain about feeling the palpitations. We are waiting for results of echocardiogram. I have not yet met with his doctor to discuss ECG results. Should I allow him to keep playing soccer? He has 3 games this weekend. I'm very worried. Thank you in advance.

Answer
Hello Denise,

Sure, he can play soccer all he wants.  PVCs are normal heart activity, easy to understand as normal from knowledge of the heart's electrical system and occurring in about half of us.  They don't mean you have heart disease or will in the future develop heart disease or any catastrophe.   Early repolarization is probably normal too.

Please write back if this doesn’t answer all your questions.

David Richardson

Heart & Cardiology

David Richardson