Heart & Cardiology/Is it safe for me to take Lexapro with hypertension?

Hello doctor, I am a 24 year old male who takes Losartan 100, Toprol xl25 and Hydrochlorothiazide 25.

Recently a psychiatrist prescribed me Lexapro 10mg and Xanax 0.5 twice daily to hopefully treat the anxiety/panic disorder that has made my life very difficult the last few years. However I am concerned as I suffer from high blood pressure and racing heartbeat and now I am afraid to take the Lexapro as I fear its going to worsen my not so good blood pressure and heart rate. Is this a valid cause for concern?  I DONT want higher blood pressure and heart rate.

Should I continue taking the Xanax as prescribed if I dont wish to take the lexa? Also is it possible to just medicate myself on Xanax and skip the antidepressants altogether!? Im not depressed, just anxious and riddled with daily panic attacks.

Hi Dante,
Cardiovascular side effects of Lexapro including palpitation and hypertension have been reported frequently. It is the responsibility of your doctors to recommend medications, taking into account their side effects, as well what happens with other drugs and illnesses you are being treated for:
Talk to your doctors!
Hope this helps,
Dr T

Heart & Cardiology

Expert opinions on cardiac, thoracic and vascular diseases

Over 30 years experience of dealing as an expert with cardiac, thoracic and vascular diseases

Board certified cardio-thoracic surgeon