Heart & Cardiology/skipped beats

I'm female, age 61, healthy with excellent diet and exercise program and don't smoke or drink. Blood tests always showed excellent heart values. I do have trouble with hot flashes.  I don't take medications but I have been taking a non-prescription supplement of Lithium Orotate for a little over a year for a mood disorder. It works better than any medication ever worked.  I started having skipped beats about 6 weeks ago. I took some electrolytes and it improved almost 99%. I stopped taking the electrolytes for about 4 days recently and the skipped beats came back again.  I'm on them now for 2 days but still skipping beats. I was told many years ago by only one doctor that I had a slight murmur.  No doctor ever picked up on it before or since. I think an echo showed it 12 years ago because the doctor said that 40% of the population has it. Don't remember if she said it was a murmur. I'm strongly considering seeing a cardiologist.

I would appreciate your opinion.

Hello Rochelle,

Skipped beats are normal heart activity, easy to understand as normal from knowledge of the heart's electrical system and occurring in about half of us.  They don't mean you have heart disease or will in the future develop heart disease or any catastrophe.  I don't think you need to see a cardiologist.

Please write back if this doesn’t answer all your questions.

David Richardson

Heart & Cardiology

David Richardson

Adult heart function and disease. Not very good about children lesss than 12. Hypertension is o.k. Heart rhythm a special interest.

Certified in cardiology by the American Board of Internal Medicine. Was chairman of division of cardiology at the Medical College of Virginia. Am now mostly retired.

Fellow of American Heart Association and American College of Cardiology and member of American Physiological Society..

Circulation, American Heart Journal, Hypertension.

M.D. from Harvard Medical School. Residency training at Yale Uhniversity School of Medicine and Medical College of Virginia.

Gold Heartt Award from American Heart Association in 1995.