Heart & Cardiology/Test Results

Dear Dr Richardson.

RED BLOOD COUNT= 4.84 RANGE UK (4.50-6.0)
POTASSIUM= 3.6 RANGE (3.5-5.3)

I had blood tests done about 3 months ago, and noticed my Potassium level was 3.6 rangE (3.5-5.3)uk I am now having symptoms of heart flutters, weakness/numbness in arms/legs tingling/pain in fingers, weakness when raising arms, feeling off balance, fatigue.

My Dr did not comment on the blood results. I have been feeling off balance for about 4 months and the other symptoms started about 2 weeks ago. Although, symptoms seem to come on when I need to pass urine and I seem to be passing more, but also get them when I don't need to pass urine. I am not too bad when sitting down, but when I start walking around the symptoms come on and I feel worse.

I was diagnosed with an underactive thyroid 18 months ago and on 75mg thyroxine. I am also on Lansoprazole for a Hiatus Hernia and been on them for a long time. I have included the results of other blood tests (above) that also seem to be in the lower range.

Thank you for your help!

Hello Merrill,

The lab results are okay.  Tingling, numbness, weakness may be overbreathing.  Pay attention to your breathing when you have symptoms and breathe slowly and shallowly.  Maybe even breathe thru a tube about an inch in diameter and 8-12 inches long.  Low blood calcium can also produce these symptoms.

Please write back if this doesn’t answer all your questions.

David Richardson

Heart & Cardiology

David Richardson

Adult heart function and disease. Not very good about children lesss than 12. Hypertension is o.k. Heart rhythm a special interest.

Certified in cardiology by the American Board of Internal Medicine. Was chairman of division of cardiology at the Medical College of Virginia. Am now mostly retired.

Fellow of American Heart Association and American College of Cardiology and member of American Physiological Society..

Circulation, American Heart Journal, Hypertension.

M.D. from Harvard Medical School. Residency training at Yale Uhniversity School of Medicine and Medical College of Virginia.

Gold Heartt Award from American Heart Association in 1995.