Heart & Cardiology/Cold Feet/Hands

Dear Dr. Richardson,

My hands/feet are usually quite icey.  People tell me this often when we shake hands.   I had no idea there was a connection between heart health hands/feet until the other day when I read on article about it on Yahoo.  I am able to detect a pulse in both my ankles.  It's not as strong as the one in the wrist but it's present.  

In short do cold hands/feet represent any possible heart problems?

On an aside my body temps have been oddly low last couple of days and I'm colder than normal.  I'm inside mostly and the temp in the house is 66-68, so it's not all that cold.  I checked my temp with an oral digital thermometer and saw it as low as 95.2 F.  It rose quickly after putting on extra layers of clothes.  Is there any heart condition that could cause this strange phenomenon?  I normally run about 97.5 for what it's worth.  

Seasons greetings,

Hello Heather,

Cold hands and feet may be Raynaud's syndrome, where the nerves to blood vessels are hyperactive.  Look up Raynaud's in Wickipedia.

I don't know what makes your body temp low.  Heart trouble wouldn't.  I think you have no heart trouble.

Please write back if this doesn’t answer all your questions.

David Richardson

Heart & Cardiology

David Richardson

Adult heart function and disease. Not very good about children lesss than 12. Hypertension is o.k. Heart rhythm a special interest.

Certified in cardiology by the American Board of Internal Medicine. Was chairman of division of cardiology at the Medical College of Virginia. Am now mostly retired.

Fellow of American Heart Association and American College of Cardiology and member of American Physiological Society..

Circulation, American Heart Journal, Hypertension.

M.D. from Harvard Medical School. Residency training at Yale Uhniversity School of Medicine and Medical College of Virginia.

Gold Heartt Award from American Heart Association in 1995.