Heart & Cardiology/Heart health!

First of all I am 23 years old and have had...numerous ECG, heart monitor 24 hour, stess test and echocardiogram. All came back fine! But still after a night drinking alcohol I wake up 4/5 hours later with racing pounding heart! I've been to the E.r few times when it was at 180...200 and they calmed it down and sent me on my way! But this happens all the time! I also suffer with heart skips on odd days! This has worried me do much I have stopped exercising and playing my one love, football! So I'm just after some advice on what to do next. And stopping drinking is not an option as I'm 23 and want to enjoy my life! Kind regards Ross.

Hello Ross,

If your fast heart beat starts and stops abruptly, in one heart beat, It can be prevented by taking meds called flecainide or sotalol  3 to 4 hours after drinking.  If it starts and stops more gradually, try a beta blocker such as atenolol or metoprolol right after you finish drinking.

Please write back if this doesn’t answer all your questions.

David Richardson

Heart & Cardiology

David Richardson

Adult heart function and disease. Not very good about children lesss than 12. Hypertension is o.k. Heart rhythm a special interest.

Certified in cardiology by the American Board of Internal Medicine. Was chairman of division of cardiology at the Medical College of Virginia. Am now mostly retired.

Fellow of American Heart Association and American College of Cardiology and member of American Physiological Society..

Circulation, American Heart Journal, Hypertension.

M.D. from Harvard Medical School. Residency training at Yale Uhniversity School of Medicine and Medical College of Virginia.

Gold Heartt Award from American Heart Association in 1995.