Heart & Cardiology/Heart Tracing

Question
Bloods
Bloods  
Results
Results  
QUESTION: Hi Dr Richardson,

I have contacted you on several occasions in the past regarding issues with my heart. I suffer from ectopic heartbeats and as you have advised in the past I understand these to be nothing but a major nuisance in my life. Despite that I still worry about them and I have been forced to the A&E department today as I had a spate of skipped beats this morning, also Ive had mild chest discomfort and indeed shortness of breath and general feeling of being unwell. I have had my blood pressure take which was 120/81 & my heart-rate at the time of the BP check was 74. I have also had an ECG of which I would like you comments and expert advice on if you would be good enough.

The details of the ECG are as follows -

Normal Sinus Rhythm
Vent Rate 65
PR Interval - 178ms
QRS Duration - 116MS
QT/QTc 394/409 ms
P-R-T Axes 44 -33 23

Left Axis Deviation
Abnormal ECG

Can you advise as what the above mean and in your opinion is this ECG acceptable, I'm 29 years old, a little overweight.

Ive also had my blood results which Ive attached via image - could you cast your eye over this and give your thoughts also please as I don't really know what relates to Cardiac issues.

I just feel so deflated with this situation. I constantly feel my heart beating, Im having lots of ectopics, I have been told I have incomplete right branch budle block. Im so afraid that I have an underlynig heart problem, its effecting my sleep, my work, my social and personal life. I have had ECHOS and Various tests over the last few years and all has been fine apart from the above and a bout of pericarditis a year ago.

Please help Dr.

Many Thanks In advance

ANSWER: Hello Mr.Meakin

Left axis deviation is a minor abnormality that is no threat to life or health.   Just means the heart is tilted more to the left than usual.  Maybe because your overweight pushes the diaphragm up.  The blood tests are all normal.

Please write back if this doesn’t answer all your questions.

David Richardson

QUESTION: Hi Dr Richardson,

Many thanks for the your prompt reply, you really do help in relieving my anxiety about my health issues.

Could I ask please if you dont mind to explain what the results below actually mean?? Im not medically minded and I tend not to do to much research on the internet as it oftens makes my anxiety worse.

The details are -

QUESTION: Hi Dr Richardson,

The details of the ECG are as follows -

Normal Sinus Rhythm
Vent Rate 65
PR Interval - 178ms
QRS Duration - 116MS
QT/QTc 394/409 ms
P-R-T Axes 44 -33 23

I dont understand them results??

Thanks again Dr you a true gentlemen.

Regards

Sean

Answer
Vent Rate is heart rate.
PR interval is the time elapsed between stimulation of the upper and lower chambers of the heart.
QRS duration is the time taken for the electrical impulse to spread over the lower chambers.
QT/QTc is the interval when the heart is relaxed after a contraction.
P-R-T axes are the direction of the P, QRS and T waves.

Heart & Cardiology

David Richardson