Heart & Cardiology/Why is my heartrate so low postpartum

Question
After I gave birth on 12/18/2012 my heartrate went from 80s to mid to low 50s with dizzyness. It hurts my chest when it beats slow. Why is this happening and is it normal postpartum?

Answer
Hello Tanya,

Dizziness may be caused by over breathing.  Pay attention to your breathing when you're dizzy and breathe slowly ad shallowly.  If dizziness occurs only when you're standing, it may be that your blood pressure is getting to low.  Get your BP measured seated and then standing quietly for 1,3 and 5 minutes.  If it goes below 85, that's the cause of your dozziness.   When your heart beats slowly it also makes a big beat big enough to rub the chest wall and cause your chest to hurt.  All this sounds normal at any time, including post partum.

Please write back if this doesn’t answer all your questions.

David Richardson

Heart & Cardiology

David Richardson