Heart & Cardiology/heaviness in chest and bp problems

I feel like i'm just getting no where. About 7 months now i have been having episodes where my bp jumps to 167/95 or drops to 90/63 with my pulse at 99 when this happens i get very pail and my vision is affected. but my bp is usually good at drs. i just had a complete blood work up and found i have high cholesterol i just went to a new dr who still cant explain bp problems, im going to see a cardiologist next , i am under a lot of stress but some days i cant walk from my bed to my bathroom without feeling like i ran around the house, i have a lot of pressure on my chest, and tired all the time. please help.

Hello Sandy,

I can't tell without seeing you.  Get your blood pressure measured sitting and then standing quietly for 1,3 and 5 minutes.  If it fall below 85, that's the cause of your paleness and visual trouble.  Drink lots of water and eat lots of salt to help these problems.

If you're less than 45 years old, narrowing of coronary arteries is an unlikely cause of your chest pressure.  Chest pain in a young person is usually cramping of muscles in the chest wall.  If pushing on the painful area modifies the pain (makes it better or worse), or if the pain is relieved by bending the body away from the painful area, that proves the pain is from chest  wall.  Even if these maneuvers donít affect the pain, itís still probably chest wall.  Pain caused by narrowing of the coronary arteries that supply blood to the heart is extremely rare below age 40. Chest wall pain is no threat to life or health, just a big nuisance.  Safest management is just to ignore the pain, though Tylenol, aspirin or ibuprofren usually help.

Tired and short of breath does sound like heart or maybe lungs.  Lung trouble would be accompanied by cough and wheezing.  Ask the cardiologist about an echo to see how your heart is functioning, unless he or she has a better plan.

Please write back if this doesnít answer all your questions.

David Richardson

Heart & Cardiology

David Richardson

Adult heart function and disease. Not very good about children lesss than 12. Hypertension is o.k. Heart rhythm a special interest.

Certified in cardiology by the American Board of Internal Medicine. Was chairman of division of cardiology at the Medical College of Virginia. Am now mostly retired.

Fellow of American Heart Association and American College of Cardiology and member of American Physiological Society..

Circulation, American Heart Journal, Hypertension.

M.D. from Harvard Medical School. Residency training at Yale Uhniversity School of Medicine and Medical College of Virginia.

Gold Heartt Award from American Heart Association in 1995.