Heart & Cardiology/norvasc

Question
dr richardson,im 79 year old male who has irregular heartbeat,.hypertension and moderate kidney impairment,was taking losartan 50mg for my hypertension,then at nite i got flushing red warm feeling after doctor increased my losartan from 50 tp 100mgmy pressure went up to 180/75.he switched me to lisinipril 30mg and norvasc.this seemed to bring down pressure to 140/80 at nite.i was afraid to take norvasc because of ankle swelling.but 3 pharmisists said aplodipine is safe and ankle swelling is rare.i cant take diareatics because of sulphur alleregy and kidney impairment.gfr for 79 my age was 52.think lisinopril and aplodipine are safe to take?i wrote to you 8 months ago about pradaxa,and how scared i was taking it for bleeding.i have taken 120mg pradaxa for 10 months now and no symptons.you were very kind in your answer.is aplodipine safe to take or is there another non-water pill i can take with linisinopril that wont aggreviate my kidneys or irregular heart beat,hava a nice holoday

Answer
Hello Howard,

Norvasc causes edema fairly frequently.  Not harmful, but a nuisance.  Lisinopril and amlodipine together is okay.  Furosemide is a diuretic without sulfur in it.  Low dose like 20 mg will probably get rid of the swelling without causing decrease in kidney function.

Please write back if this doesn’t answer all your questions.

David Richardson

Heart & Cardiology

David Richardson