Heart & Cardiology/pvcs

Hi Dr. Richardson,

I was diagnosed with PVCs through a 30 day event monitor (24 hr holter didn't catch any). I'm a 27 year old female, weight 135. Had an exercise echo and EKG that came back normal. Like a lot of the other people who have come to you with pvc questions, these PVCs are really scaring me. I am so worried about this turning into a life threatening arrhythmia. When I was originally diagnosed I was getting between 1 and 5 pvcs a day. Now I am getting between 50 and 60.

2 questions:

1. Is this recent extreme increase in pvcs a reason to head back to the electrophysiologist for more testing?

2. Everything I read on the internet says that pvcs are only dangerous if you have structural heart disease or an inherent electrical instability in the heart. I don't think I have structural heart disease but what about an electrical instability? Would an ECG and exercise echo catch an electrical instability if I had one?

Thank you so much for your time.

Hello Brit,

1.  Premature beats, no matter how frquent,  are normal heart activity, easy to understand as normal from knowledge of the heart's electrical system and occurring in about half of us.  They don't mean you have heart disease or will in the future develop heart disease or any catastrophe. Don't go to an electrophysiologist.

2. Yes.

Please write back if this doesn’t answer all your questions.

David Richardson

Heart & Cardiology

David Richardson

Adult heart function and disease. Not very good about children lesss than 12. Hypertension is o.k. Heart rhythm a special interest.

Certified in cardiology by the American Board of Internal Medicine. Was chairman of division of cardiology at the Medical College of Virginia. Am now mostly retired.

Fellow of American Heart Association and American College of Cardiology and member of American Physiological Society..

Circulation, American Heart Journal, Hypertension.

M.D. from Harvard Medical School. Residency training at Yale Uhniversity School of Medicine and Medical College of Virginia.

Gold Heartt Award from American Heart Association in 1995.