Heart & Cardiology/Slow heart rate & skipped beats

Dr Richardson,

I'm a 25 year old male, pretty active and exercise at least 5 days a week. I've noticed that sometimes my heart rate drops pretty low even while I'm awake. I've seen it go down to 45bpm. My normal range is between 50-60 but my doctors never see this because I have white coat syndrome and my heart rate is always elevated there. I've sought medical attention before because I was concern about my skipped beats and low heart rate. I've had blood work, EKG's and one echocardiogram a couple of years ago. They cleared me but I still experience these symptoms. What are the chances that there is something wrong with me? Why do I feel tired sometimes with my heart rate drops? I just don't understand because I'm young and in pretty good shape but yet I feel these skipped beats and low heart rate. Thank you in advance for your response!

Hello Frankie,

The lower limits of heart rate are 45 awake, 35 asleep.  Slow heart means longer life.

Skipped beats are normal heart activity, easy to understand as normal from knowledge of the heart's electrical system and occurring in about half of us.  They don't mean you have heart disease or will in the future develop heart disease or any catastrophe.

Please write back if this doesn’t answer all your questions.

David Richardson

Heart & Cardiology

David Richardson

Adult heart function and disease. Not very good about children lesss than 12. Hypertension is o.k. Heart rhythm a special interest.

Certified in cardiology by the American Board of Internal Medicine. Was chairman of division of cardiology at the Medical College of Virginia. Am now mostly retired.

Fellow of American Heart Association and American College of Cardiology and member of American Physiological Society..

Circulation, American Heart Journal, Hypertension.

M.D. from Harvard Medical School. Residency training at Yale Uhniversity School of Medicine and Medical College of Virginia.

Gold Heartt Award from American Heart Association in 1995.