Heart & Cardiology/Constant heart flutters

I'm a healthy, fit and active 29 year old female.  I have no history of heart problems and no family history.  

I've always had a low blood pressure - around 90/55.  Over the past few months, I've also had heart flutters.  Today they have been non-stop.  I took two bayer aspirin, but have gotten no relief.  I'm very scared and contacted my doctor for a cardiologist referral, but haven't heard back yet.  I talked myself out of going to the ER tonight ... Not sure if that was good or bad.

What could be causing the flutters?  I have an at home monitor and it detected the arrythmea this evening, so I know it's really happening.  

Any insight you have is greatly appreciated.

Hello Melissa,

If by flutters you mean skipped beats, they're no problem.   Skipped beats are normal heart activity, easy to understand as normal from knowledge of the heart's electrical system and occurring in about half of us.  They don't mean you have heart disease or will in the future develop heart disease or any cardiac catastrophe.

If flutter means totally, completely irregular for at least a minute, that might be atrial fibrillation, which is not a crisis, but needs attention in the next few weeks.  If flutter means a heart rate over 150, regular or irregular, that also needs attention within the next few weeks.

See what your monitor looks like, skipped beats or totally irregular or rate over 150.

Please write back if this note doesn’t answer all your questions.

David Richardson

Please let me know what you find out.

Heart & Cardiology

David Richardson

Adult heart function and disease. Not very good about children lesss than 12. Hypertension is o.k. Heart rhythm a special interest.

Certified in cardiology by the American Board of Internal Medicine. Was chairman of division of cardiology at the Medical College of Virginia. Am now mostly retired.

Fellow of American Heart Association and American College of Cardiology and member of American Physiological Society..

Circulation, American Heart Journal, Hypertension.

M.D. from Harvard Medical School. Residency training at Yale Uhniversity School of Medicine and Medical College of Virginia.

Gold Heartt Award from American Heart Association in 1995.