Heart & Cardiology/ectopic beats

I had missed beats/thud  in chest for the first time six months ago.  I also get these after certain exercise (running up large quantitys of stairs, skipping for a few mins, things that get my heart racing quickly).  I had a 3 day monitor, ecg and an ultrasound and cardiologist said showed a few ectopic beats (although I didn't feel any whilst on monitor).  Not to worry ignore.
However, I still worry about exercising and a few web sites say post exercise ectopic beats are dangerous and have a higher risk of death.  Should I go back to the Dr. and ask for exercise test or why do I have them after these activities.

Many Thanks

Hello alison,

Ectopic beats are normal heart activity, easy to understand as normal from knowledge of the heart's electrical system and occurring in about half of us.  They don't mean you have heart disease or will in the future develop heart disease or any cardiac catastrophe. Their occurrence during exercise is okay.

Please write back if this note doesn’t answer all your questions.

David Richardson

Heart & Cardiology

David Richardson

Adult heart function and disease. Not very good about children lesss than 12. Hypertension is o.k. Heart rhythm a special interest.

Certified in cardiology by the American Board of Internal Medicine. Was chairman of division of cardiology at the Medical College of Virginia. Am now mostly retired.

Fellow of American Heart Association and American College of Cardiology and member of American Physiological Society..

Circulation, American Heart Journal, Hypertension.

M.D. from Harvard Medical School. Residency training at Yale Uhniversity School of Medicine and Medical College of Virginia.

Gold Heartt Award from American Heart Association in 1995.