Heart & Cardiology/ectopic beats

Dear Sir,
A few years ago i was diagnosed with ectopic beats after ecg, 24 hr moniter and echo. i was also told i had some calcification after a CT scan. I have followed a strict diet and have been fine but now my ectopic beats have come back much worse. I have read on here that ectopic beats are normal heart function but as it has been a few years do i need another ecg and echo to check?
Thank you

Hello Dawn,

If the calcification was in coronary arteries, that's okay.  Only uncalcified plaques rupture and cause a heart attack.

Ectopic beats are normal heart activity, easy to understand as normal from knowledge of the heart's electrical system and occurring in about half of us.  They don't mean you have heart disease or will in the future develop heart disease or any cardiac catastrophe. If your echo was in the past 5 years and showed good left ventricular contraction (LVEF over 50%), you don't need another echo or ECG.
Please write back if this note doesn’t answer all your questions.

David Richardson  

Heart & Cardiology

David Richardson

Adult heart function and disease. Not very good about children lesss than 12. Hypertension is o.k. Heart rhythm a special interest.

Certified in cardiology by the American Board of Internal Medicine. Was chairman of division of cardiology at the Medical College of Virginia. Am now mostly retired.

Fellow of American Heart Association and American College of Cardiology and member of American Physiological Society..

Circulation, American Heart Journal, Hypertension.

M.D. from Harvard Medical School. Residency training at Yale Uhniversity School of Medicine and Medical College of Virginia.

Gold Heartt Award from American Heart Association in 1995.