Heart & Cardiology/Heart flutters

I'm a healthy, fit and active 29 year old female.  I have no history of heart problems and no family history.  

I've always had a low blood pressure - around 90/55.  Over the past few months, I've also had heart flutters.  Today they have been non-stop.  I took two bayer aspirin, but have gotten no relief.  I'm very scared and contacted my doctor for a cardiologist referral, but haven't heard back yet.  I talked myself out of going to the ER tonight ... Not sure if that was good or bad.

What could be causing the flutters?  I have an at home monitor and it detected the arrythmea this evening, so I know it's really happening.  

Any insight you have is greatly appreciated.

ANSWER: Hi Melissa,
You don't need a cardiologist at this point - see your PCP first. Let him screen these palpitations and do the tests listed below:
Depending the results he may may well send you to a cardiologist afterwards.
Hope this helps,
Dr T

My doctor sent me to a cardiologist, who ordered a holter monitor.  I just got the results and am a bit upset and confused.

Skipped beats were evident, and they are starting me on a low dose Beta Blocker (25 mg) today.  They mentioned a benign arrhythmia ... what is that?  I have an echo-cardiogram scheduled for Tuesday as they are checking for heart blockage/plaque.

I don't understand ... I have no family history of heart problems.  I'm fit, active and healthy.  I eat clean and have no medical problems, and am just about to turn 30 in March.  What could be causing this?  What should I prepare for?  I'm very nervous.

Hi Melissa,
If you read the link you'll know you are getting all the test as suggested. Since it is important to know whether it could be another cardiac cause you are getting the echo. Remember, palpitations are very common. They usually aren't serious or harmful, but they can be bothersome. If you have them, your doctor can determine whether you need treatment or ongoing care.
Hope this helps,
Dr T

Heart & Cardiology

Expert opinions on cardiac, thoracic and vascular diseases

Over 30 years experience of dealing as an expert with cardiac, thoracic and vascular diseases

Board certified cardio-thoracic surgeon