Heart & Cardiology/Heart Palpitations

Hi, David, Im a 20 year old female, im 5'9 & around 145 pounds
I took my blood pressure a few minutes ago & it was 122/68
with a pulse of 63. There is no history of heart problems in my family that i know of.
Ive suffered with anxiety since i was little & ive had bad
anxiety attacks since Decemeber 2012. My anxiety symptoms
went away for about a week & due to a stressful situation my anxiety came back.
This time it came with heart palpitations or heart flutters. Ive been very constipated & gassy lately
& that is when the palpitations are the worst. I feel the gas & i can tell when i will have a heart palpitation.
They do NOT come with pain or dizziness or anything, they just feel funny.
I get them the worst when i lay on my left side, the palpitations go crazy until i change postions.
The other night i had no gas & my anxiety was low & i had no palpitations when laying on my left side.
But once i felt gas again, i felt the palpitations again!
I do not feel any palpitations when i exercise, i actually feel great when my heart is pumping fast.
I just want to have an idea whats going on?

Hello Courtney,

If the palpitations are skipped beats, that's no problem.   Skipped beats are normal heart activity, easy to understand as normal from knowledge of the heart's electrical system and occurring in about half of us.  They don't mean you have heart disease or will in the future develop heart disease or any cardiac catastrophe.

If Your heart beats totally irregularly during the palpitations, that's a minor problem but needs attention.  It might be atrial fibrillation.  If your heart beats faster than 150 a minute for more than 15 seconds, that's also a minor problem that needs a doctor's attention.

Please write back if this note doesn’t answer all your questions.

David Richardson

Heart & Cardiology

David Richardson

Adult heart function and disease. Not very good about children lesss than 12. Hypertension is o.k. Heart rhythm a special interest.

Certified in cardiology by the American Board of Internal Medicine. Was chairman of division of cardiology at the Medical College of Virginia. Am now mostly retired.

Fellow of American Heart Association and American College of Cardiology and member of American Physiological Society..

Circulation, American Heart Journal, Hypertension.

M.D. from Harvard Medical School. Residency training at Yale Uhniversity School of Medicine and Medical College of Virginia.

Gold Heartt Award from American Heart Association in 1995.