Heart & Cardiology/Heart palpitations...I think.

So recently I'd say about a month or 2 ago I realized my heart skips beats quick frequently, it will beat normally for a good 6-7 times, but then suddenly stops for half a second and starts over it does this repeatedly an sometimes will be anywhere from 3-50 normal beats before the next one..

Now it doesn't bother me untill I notice it. It feels like they are happening all the time, I've even felt it happen when I'm active and my heart rate is extremely high, or when I'm stress free!! No other feelings except for my heart stopping occur.

I am a healthy 17 year old Caucasian man, who runs on a pretty regular basis. I was wondering would this be something to worry about, as try seen to be more frequent then most people say they are!

Thanks for the help!

Hello Kurt,

Skipped beats, no matter how frequent, are normal heart activity, easy to understand as normal from knowledge of the heart's electrical system and occurring in about half of us.  They don't mean you have heart disease or will in the future develop heart disease or any cardiac catastrophe.   Your skips are no threat to life or health.

Please write back if this note doesn’t answer all your questions.

David Richardson

Heart & Cardiology

David Richardson

Adult heart function and disease. Not very good about children lesss than 12. Hypertension is o.k. Heart rhythm a special interest.

Certified in cardiology by the American Board of Internal Medicine. Was chairman of division of cardiology at the Medical College of Virginia. Am now mostly retired.

Fellow of American Heart Association and American College of Cardiology and member of American Physiological Society..

Circulation, American Heart Journal, Hypertension.

M.D. from Harvard Medical School. Residency training at Yale Uhniversity School of Medicine and Medical College of Virginia.

Gold Heartt Award from American Heart Association in 1995.