Heart & Cardiology/Heart palpitations...I think.

Question
So recently I'd say about a month or 2 ago I realized my heart skips beats quick frequently, it will beat normally for a good 6-7 times, but then suddenly stops for half a second and starts over it does this repeatedly an sometimes will be anywhere from 3-50 normal beats before the next one..

Now it doesn't bother me untill I notice it. It feels like they are happening all the time, I've even felt it happen when I'm active and my heart rate is extremely high, or when I'm stress free!! No other feelings except for my heart stopping occur.

I am a healthy 17 year old Caucasian man, who runs on a pretty regular basis. I was wondering would this be something to worry about, as try seen to be more frequent then most people say they are!

Thanks for the help!
Kurt

Answer
Hello Kurt,

Skipped beats, no matter how frequent, are normal heart activity, easy to understand as normal from knowledge of the heart's electrical system and occurring in about half of us.  They don't mean you have heart disease or will in the future develop heart disease or any cardiac catastrophe.   Your skips are no threat to life or health.

Please write back if this note doesn’t answer all your questions.

David Richardson

Heart & Cardiology

David Richardson