Heart & Cardiology/New Left Anterior hemiblock

I have been recently diagnosed with Left Anterior Hemiblock. In an ecg last year, the hemiblock was not present. This year, it now is. My cardiologist says "there is no change" in the two ecgs. He says it is an incidental and simply down to individual variation. I'm really confused about this. How can there be "no change" when one ecg is normal and the recent says left anterior hemiblock? (By the way an echocardiography last year showed no structural problems).

I am 30 years old, female, non-smoker. My cardiologist says my heart is "normal", but this just seems so strange, and very scary given the new hemiblock. My left axis deviation has gone from -17 to -55.

My only cardiac risk factor is severe anxiety ongoing for 10 years. I take zoloft, but had to reduce this last year after it caused a slightly prolonged qt. I have always had frequent and severe episodes of tachycardia, palpitations and white coat syndrome (usually my BP is normal but under severe stress it reaches 150/95).

My question is why the hemiblock has appeared? Could it be because of me reduction in Zoloft? Or, is it a subtle change caused by repeated fluctuations in blood pressure over the past 10 years or so. As an isolated finding, does this put me at risk for future heart problems such as more serious heart blocks? I am finding this really frightening!

Thank you!

Hello Linda,

The left anterior hemibranch is a very thin structures, easily interrupted by a speck of dust from a heart cell that has normally died or by a drop of blood.  LAHB  does not affect life expectancy or mean you have any heart disease.  Your life will not be affected.  You don't even need to see a cardiologist.

Please write back if this note doesn’t answer all your questions.

David Richardson

Heart & Cardiology

David Richardson

Adult heart function and disease. Not very good about children lesss than 12. Hypertension is o.k. Heart rhythm a special interest.

Certified in cardiology by the American Board of Internal Medicine. Was chairman of division of cardiology at the Medical College of Virginia. Am now mostly retired.

Fellow of American Heart Association and American College of Cardiology and member of American Physiological Society..

Circulation, American Heart Journal, Hypertension.

M.D. from Harvard Medical School. Residency training at Yale Uhniversity School of Medicine and Medical College of Virginia.

Gold Heartt Award from American Heart Association in 1995.