Heart & Cardiology/palpatations

A few years ago i experienced palpataions and after seeing the cardiologist and having ecg,stress test and 24 hr moniter,although my stress test had a false positive the other tests were ok.
I have been fine for a coupleofyears but recently the palpatations have come back really badly. I Have them every day,worse in the
morning and at night, although i think if i can get really distracted they wear off, but sometimes they were continue for hours. Sometimes it is just an odd missed beat here and there but sometimes the pattern is beat, beat, miss, beat beat beat,miss. I am so scared and am now starting to experience panic attacks. The g.p. says i am compounding it and has prescribed betablockers but i dont really want to take them. Sometimes it feels so much worse when i sit down and its like i can feel it in my midriff area.But doesnt feel so bad when i stand, Thank you for your time

ANSWER: Hello Dawn,

Skipped beats are normal heart activity, easy to understand as normal from knowledge of the heart's electrical system and occurring in about half of us.  They don't mean you have heart disease or will in the future develop heart disease or any cardiac catastrophe.

Please write back if this note doesn’t answer all your questions.

David Richardson

QUESTION: Thank you so much for your quick response, I am very grateful. Is it ok even when I have the  the ones that seem to be in my midriff and sometimes laying in bed it feels like its in my back, and even when it last for ages? So sorry, I'm not doubting your expertise, just want reassurance.  I also forgot to say that I have a heart murmur with a very slight regurgitation which I am given an echo for every 5 year's.
Thank you so much. Kind regards Dawn

ANSWER: Yes, it's all right.  Depending on your posture, the skips will be felt in different parts of your body, probably because your heart brushes against the body wall after a skip.  Very slight regurgitation will never harm you.

QUESTION: Thank you so much, I'm very grateful that you are here to answer questions. I went to bed last night calmer  than for a long time. However this morning, just as bad. I have just counted 20 in 1 minute, and that may go on for a long  time Im sorry but its just so frightening. I read somewhere on here that  sometimes when it goes on for too long your heart has to be reset or something and I have had it like this for months every day. I also read that you wrote to someone that getting lots in a row may be worrisome. Is the amount I am getting classed as a lot? And one last question,  why do some people get them every day just out of the blue, do they just clear up? I'm sorry to keep asking questions but I am so very thankful that I have found you to ask. Kind regards Dawn

I meant a long run of premature beats in a row, sustained supra-ventricular or ventricular tachycardia.  20 skips in a minute is quite okay, not harmful to heart or brain or body.  Even every other beat is okay.  I don't know why they occur some days and not others.

Heart & Cardiology

David Richardson

Adult heart function and disease. Not very good about children lesss than 12. Hypertension is o.k. Heart rhythm a special interest.

Certified in cardiology by the American Board of Internal Medicine. Was chairman of division of cardiology at the Medical College of Virginia. Am now mostly retired.

Fellow of American Heart Association and American College of Cardiology and member of American Physiological Society..

Circulation, American Heart Journal, Hypertension.

M.D. from Harvard Medical School. Residency training at Yale Uhniversity School of Medicine and Medical College of Virginia.

Gold Heartt Award from American Heart Association in 1995.