Heart & Cardiology/Qrs and qtc

Question
QUESTION: Hi Dr,

Male aged 39. Slim build.

Had an ecg at a&e aftet chest pain. It read intraventricular conduction delay.

Had usual blood tests and x ray.

My qrs was 122 and qtc 445.

Doctor didnt seem too concerned with the above qrs and qtc values.

1 do i need any more tests to check the health of my heart?

2, can i rule out long qtc?

3, is ivcd serious?

Thanka

ANSWER: Hello James,

1. No
2. Yees.
3. No ,not at all.

Please write back if this note doesn’t answer all your questions.

David Richardson

QUESTION: 1. What is the normal qtc duration? It seems to vary on the web

2. Ive been excercising regularly for 20 years now with some weights and cardio. I feel a bit anxious about excercising now. Is it safe for me to excercise?

3. Does my qrs and qtc values above increase my chances of a heart problem such as scd?

Many thanks

Answer
Compared with the middle quintile (401 to <410 ms QT duration), those above the 95th percentile (≥439 ms) had a greater risk of all-cause mortality, cardiovascular disease mortality, coronary heart disease mortality, and non-cardiac mortality.  In addition, those below the 5th percentile (<377 ms) also had an increased risk of cardiovascular and non-cardiovascular death compared with the reference middle quintile.

If this is not clear or you have other questions, please write back.

Heart & Cardiology

David Richardson