Heart & Cardiology/Skipped heartbeats

Should I be concerned about feeling like my heart misses beats (sometimes several in a minute)?  My family history includes heart problems, a-fib, MI, HTN, and high cholesterol. I am a 44 y/o male and take medication for blood pressure and cholesterol. Both are very well controlled.  I just can't seem to ignore sometimes missing a beat very 2 or 3 beats many times an hour.

Thanks in advance.

Hello Brian,

Skipped beats are normal heart activity, easy to understand as normal from knowledge of the heart's electrical system and occurring in about half of us.  They don't mean you have heart disease or will in the future develop heart disease or any cardiac catastrophe.

Please write back if this note doesn’t answer all your questions.

David Richardson

Heart & Cardiology

David Richardson

Adult heart function and disease. Not very good about children lesss than 12. Hypertension is o.k. Heart rhythm a special interest.

Certified in cardiology by the American Board of Internal Medicine. Was chairman of division of cardiology at the Medical College of Virginia. Am now mostly retired.

Fellow of American Heart Association and American College of Cardiology and member of American Physiological Society..

Circulation, American Heart Journal, Hypertension.

M.D. from Harvard Medical School. Residency training at Yale Uhniversity School of Medicine and Medical College of Virginia.

Gold Heartt Award from American Heart Association in 1995.