Heart & Cardiology/Arrhythmia

My daughter is 4. She was just seen at the cardiologist yesterday. Her EKG and xray and ultrasound looked ok however they want us to do a monitor for a month because they think she may have and arrhythmia. When she lays down it seems to worsen. But often times the eposides she has isnt brought on by anything. What are your thoughts on this?

Hello Amanda,

Can't tell much until you find out what the arrhythmia is.  It's probably skipped beats, and they are no problem.   Skipped beats are normal heart activity, easy to understand as normal from knowledge of the heart's electrical system and occurring in about half of us.  They don't mean you have heart disease or will in the future develop heart disease or any cardiac catastrophe.

Please let me know when you find out what kind of arrhythmia she has.

Heart & Cardiology

David Richardson

Adult heart function and disease. Not very good about children lesss than 12. Hypertension is o.k. Heart rhythm a special interest.

Certified in cardiology by the American Board of Internal Medicine. Was chairman of division of cardiology at the Medical College of Virginia. Am now mostly retired.

Fellow of American Heart Association and American College of Cardiology and member of American Physiological Society..

Circulation, American Heart Journal, Hypertension.

M.D. from Harvard Medical School. Residency training at Yale Uhniversity School of Medicine and Medical College of Virginia.

Gold Heartt Award from American Heart Association in 1995.