Heart & Cardiology/Blood Pressure

Im 30 yrs old female. My blood pressure is out of this world. Last Sunday it hit 268 over 176 I was in the hospital ed. In june it caused my lungs to fail and my pancras to fail. My question is what can be causing this? I have a young child who needs their Mum. I can't walk upstairs without feeling ill. Im on bp meds. Had a ecg,cat, vascular us..waiting on mri/mra

Hello Amber,

There are lots of causes of hypertension.  Curable causes include narrowing of the arteries to one or both kidneys (probably the ultrasound was of kidney arteries), and tumors of adrenal glands (which should have been seen with CT).  Incurable causes include other diseases of the kidneys (which may be cured by transplantation of kidneys) and then there is high blood pressure without known cause, which if the most common.

Please write back if this note doesn’t answer all your questions.

David Richardson

Heart & Cardiology

David Richardson

Adult heart function and disease. Not very good about children lesss than 12. Hypertension is o.k. Heart rhythm a special interest.

Certified in cardiology by the American Board of Internal Medicine. Was chairman of division of cardiology at the Medical College of Virginia. Am now mostly retired.

Fellow of American Heart Association and American College of Cardiology and member of American Physiological Society..

Circulation, American Heart Journal, Hypertension.

M.D. from Harvard Medical School. Residency training at Yale Uhniversity School of Medicine and Medical College of Virginia.

Gold Heartt Award from American Heart Association in 1995.