Heart & Cardiology/No Drug Can Lower Fibrinogen - Is That Right?

Hello Dr Richardson,

I've been reading studies on how fibrinogen is highly correlated with heart disease, even more so than cholesterol and elevated BP...  As far as I know, only exercise will bring fibrinogen levels down.  No pharmaceutical drug on the market can reduce fibrinogen levels.  

Is this right?

If so, is this because the body's clotting/de-clotting mechanism is so intricate, drugs aren't able to interfere with the delicate mechanism?

Also, is the danger of cholesterol more publicized because drugs are available to lower it, so marketing has raised the public's awareness of high cholesterol, but not of high fibrinogen?

Hello Usuff,

Several drugs, aspirin and warfarin and heparin and dabigatran among others, interfere with clotting.  So far as I know, none lower fibrinogen.  So you are correct.

Please write back if this note doesn’t answer all your questions.

David Richardson

Heart & Cardiology

David Richardson

Adult heart function and disease. Not very good about children lesss than 12. Hypertension is o.k. Heart rhythm a special interest.

Certified in cardiology by the American Board of Internal Medicine. Was chairman of division of cardiology at the Medical College of Virginia. Am now mostly retired.

Fellow of American Heart Association and American College of Cardiology and member of American Physiological Society..

Circulation, American Heart Journal, Hypertension.

M.D. from Harvard Medical School. Residency training at Yale Uhniversity School of Medicine and Medical College of Virginia.

Gold Heartt Award from American Heart Association in 1995.