Heart & Cardiology/Heart arrythmia and palpitations

Hi Dr. Richardson,
I'm 18 years old and am 163 cm, weighing 42kg. I was given propranolol for a couple of days after seein irregular beats on the ECG but when my echocardiogram came back with normal results I was diagnosed with bronchitis and put on an antibiotic. For about a month after that I've had palpitations, mostly at rest, and I feel my heart skip a beat sometimes, again mostly while at rest. My heart rate is generally elevated (90) whereas earlier it was usually around 70 and any exertion at all, even walking or standing sends it rocketing to around 114 bpm. I also feel constantly short of breath and have trouble sleeping. I did another ECG which showed extra beats and when I'm relaxed, during something  like meditation, the palpitations get worse. Another echocardiography came back normal except for slight thickening of a valve. My blood pressure was also declared normal. my questions-
Could this be related to an imbalance in electrolytes?
My qt Interval was declared normal. Is there still a chance I could have long qt syndrome?

Hello Amrita,

No, not imbalance of electrolytes.   Skipped beats are normal heart activity, easy to understand as normal from knowledge of the heart's electrical system and occurring in about half of us.  They don't mean you have heart disease or will in the future develop heart disease or any cardiac catastrophe.

No, no need to worry about long QT syndrome if QTc is normal.

Heart & Cardiology

David Richardson

Adult heart function and disease. Not very good about children lesss than 12. Hypertension is o.k. Heart rhythm a special interest.

Certified in cardiology by the American Board of Internal Medicine. Was chairman of division of cardiology at the Medical College of Virginia. Am now mostly retired.

Fellow of American Heart Association and American College of Cardiology and member of American Physiological Society..

Circulation, American Heart Journal, Hypertension.

M.D. from Harvard Medical School. Residency training at Yale Uhniversity School of Medicine and Medical College of Virginia.

Gold Heartt Award from American Heart Association in 1995.